8 Home interior trends to look out for in 2018
2017 has been a wonderful year for us and we are hoping 2018 will be even better. A lot of articles are available online for doing up your homes in line with the trends this year but this is NOT a compilation of those. Homes should always be a reflection of your personality and if you like any of the ideas mentioned in our blog, spin it your way and see the magic. The ideas/trends mentioned below are purely based on our observations, interactions and most importantly our sensibilities. Do comment and say a HI <3
- Traditional is back - Neat lines/minimalist modern furniture might take a backseat going forward and be replaced with traditional looks with a nod to future sensibilities. With everything ‘old school’ making a comeback, traditional inspired modern looks will be a thing to look for.
Image from vintageamericanhome
- Pink Vs Lavender - There was a time when Pink was the new black. 2017 was full of powder pink/millennial pink/fuschia pink and many other shades of pink. However the tone for 2018 has already been set to Ultra Violet when it was the Pantone colour of the year. We feel pink will make way for lavender and violet. Even though pastels dominated 2017 and should do well in 2018, but we should see a lot of violet with yellows, blues and teal!
- Velvet - We aren't going to lie but we are not from the velvet generation but it is going to be a year witnessing return of the VELVET. If not done aesthetically velvet can look very shabby and overpowering but it has the potential to make any room stand out and we are definitely finding ways to incorporate velvet to add more personality to our collection. We see lots of velvet trimmings, floral velvet patches and definitely understated velvet upholstery. Remember the ‘shaneel’ (velvet) quilts your grandmother had? (My Nani still has them :)) We'll sneak one from her because it is going to look stunning.
Image from Anthropologie
Images from Pinterest
- Patterned floors and ceilings - 2017 saw the beginning of a lot of moroccon and geometric tiles and 2018 is going to take it a step further. Be it abstract, floral, geometric or even Terrazzo (remember how every small apartment had the terrazzo pattern which slowly became uncool) is gradually picking up. Also statement ceilings! From wood to painting florals, the 5th wall is here.
- Greenery - Budget makeovers should be vouching on this. With our lives being increasingly reliant on technology, bringing in plants gives us hope and a sense of closeness to nature and a dose of much needed Digital Detox! Moreover it’s affordable, trendy and the best way to add colour, vibrance and life to any space. Patterned plants add more depth while flowers in different hues and succulents are always welcome <3
Image from Pinterest
- Embroidery - Everything looks pretty with embroidery. Feminine, delicate and so powerful. Different embroidery techniques will be paving way for 2018. With focus on handcrafted and sustainable living, hand embroidered detailing should be a big hit. Look at our different embroidered looks below and shop online
HouseOfEkam.com Indulge in Pink Cotton Rug HouseOfEkam.com - Bumbling Tumbling Bee Wall Art
- Travel inspired settings - We agree that a wall of travel photos or fridge magnets is done to death and not inspiring but the travel theme is going to take over your home in a fresh way. Think of small antiques from travel, influence of local craftsmanship over high street shops and travel inspired art. We have always collected paintings or cute little decor pieces from various parts of the world. One of our favourites is a coral inspired table piece from Maldives which my mother got me.
Image from Pinterest
- Silver - With copper and brass dominating most of 2017 and they will be around in 2018 as well, but there might be a shift to silver. Think rose with silver or yellow with silver just like the pairing below. Also silverware or silver incorporated with velvets or bright tones. We feel silver can accentuate any product and look so regal at the same time. Match silverware with our handcrafted table runners.
HouseOfEkam.com - Vintage Lace Table Runner
Image from Pinterest
We hope you enjoyed our attempt at forecasting some trends for 2018. Even though trends are merely just indications and are very whimsical in nature, it is a good reason as any to try something fresh.
Lots of love,
Leave a comment